The Catholic Youth Ministry Federation (CYMFed) seeks to help shape and support Catholic Youth Ministry in England & Wales.
It does this by:
- giving youth ministry a strong voice in the Church and wider society;
- working on projects, training and events togther;
- developing and strengthening the direction of Catholic youth ministry.
Within this federation there are numerous staff and volunteers, working with tens of thousands of young people between them each year.
CYMFed’s organisation is run by the principal officers of each diocese, organisation, movement and religious order, who meet three times a year, and the Board which meets regularly. Bringing together the ‘on the ground’ practitioners of those working with young people in a Catholic context, CYMFed is the single most experienced and qualified body in the UK to hold, protect and further the vision of youth ministry. As such we have six objectives:
- To develop, sustain and promote the national vision and strategy for youth ministry
- To take a lead on events, initiatives and projects
- To shape and promote quality training
- To represent Catholic youth ministry
- To work with the Bishop’s Conference
- To source appropriate finance and funding to support CYMFed
CYMFed is separate to, but recognised and supported, by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England & Wales. The CYMFed Chair represents the CYMFed membership to the Bishops’ Conference through the Department for Evangelisation and Catechesis. In addition, the Bishop responsible for Youth is a member of the CYMFed Board.